The education in Turan University is carried out by intramural and extramural (traditional or with the use of distance learning technologies) forms of study.
Three-level educational programmes (EPs) are implemented: bachelor’s degree (including abbreviated EPs: 2-year ones on the basis of higher education, 3-year ones on the basis of secondary vocational education); Master’s degree programme; higher doctorate.
Turan University provides equal access to education for all students regardless of gender, national, racial, religious affiliation or social status. Special conditions are provided for people with disabilities.
The content of educational programmes is established by relevant state compulsory education standards and is implemented through curriculum and programmes. The obligatory component of the educational programme is determined by the model curriculum; the elective component is developed by the departments on the basis of the requirements of employers, the educational needs of the students and taking into account the development trends of the relevant fields of knowledge. The scope of academic load is measured by credits that are developed during the academic year as a part of theoretical studies and additional types of education. For obtaining the appropriate academic degree, the student must successfully complete the necessary number of credits. The term of apprenticeship for Bachelor degree programmes is 4 years (accelerated study programme is 3 and 2 years); for master’s programmes: 2 years for the scientific and pedagogical field; 1 year or 1.5 years for the specialized disciplines. As for Doctorate PhD the term of study is 3 years.
The educational process consists of two components:
- academic studies, individual work of students;
- transfer of practical knowledge and skills; experience of entrepreneurship; experience of innovation activity.
The educational plan consists of four blocks of disciplines.
- General blocks include the disciplines of the courses of general education disciplines (hereinafter referred to as “GED”) and basic disciplines (hereinafter referred to as “BD”) that form general educational competences which are not directly related to the special field, and also socio-ethical, cultural competencies, organizational, managerial and entrepreneurial competencies. To develop entrepreneurial skills in each academic year, entrepreneurial modules that consist of 5 credits per year are studied. For Master’s Degree and Doctorate programmes, general modules include the disciplines of the course of BD;
- Blocks of the specialty include disciplines of BD course and major disciplines (hereinafter referred to as “MD”), which form the basis of the specialty and are directed to the formation of general professional and special competencies within a specific educational programme, as well as general competences;
- Additional blocks that go beyond qualifications include courses of disciplines that are not related to the specialty and are aimed at forming additional competences (information technology, foreign languages, etc.).
- Additional types of studies:
- Bachelor’s programmes include professional practice (educational, industrial and pre-degree) and physical culture. The academic year ends with professional practice. The minimum amount of practice for the entire period of study is 8 credits; scientific research project
- Master’s programmes include research works in the scientific and pedagogical direction (experimental and research work in the core direction), including the writing of the master’s thesis (project) and internship; pedagogical and research practice on the scientific and pedagogical direction (industrial practice in the core direction);
- Doctoral programmes – candidate’s research work, including doctoral thesis, internship; pedagogical and research practices.
Academic year consists of academic periods, periods of midterm assessments, vacations and practices. The final academic assessment period is included on the graduating year of the academic year.
The academic period lasts 15 weeks. The period of midterm assessments lasts not less than 1 week. Vacations are provided for students after each academic period, while the length of the vacation time in the academic year is at least 7 weeks.
The summer semester (with the exception of the graduating course) has a duration of at least 6 weeks to meet the needs for additional education, for the elimination of failed assignments or the difference in disciplines, for the study of academic disciplines and learning the credits by students in other universities with its required examination in their owns, increasing the average score of academic achievement (GPA).
Innovative entrepreneurial university
The main principle of the organization of innovative-entrepreneurial Turan University is a harmonious combination of three basic types of activity: scientific research (acquiring knowledge); education (transferring knowledge and skills, formation of competencies); innovation (application of knowledge).
The university actively forms an entrepreneurial culture. In this context, the university is doing a lot of work to involve employees, teachers and students in innovative activities in the field of education, science and society. For this purpose, project contests are held throughout the year. The best of them take part in competitions of the City Government of Almaty, Ministry of Education and Science of RK and abroad. The most promising projects receive grants from the university to create startups. Some projects are led by faculty teachers who share their experience of entrepreneurship with students. Some startups are sold by students themselves.
In order to ensure the best conditions for the formation of entrepreneurial spirit, to achieve success by young entrepreneurs, there is the business incubator at the university.
The Summer and Winter Schools -“TURAN ENTREPRENEURSHIP” –operate to develop innovative potential and competitiveness of students. The schools are organized by Turan University, Alatau FEZ PIT, “Eltex Alatau”LLP, Kazakhstan Association of Marketing, educational and health-improving complex Tau-Turan. The goal of the school is to promote entrepreneurship as an effective life strategy. Access to all innovative and entrepreneurial structures and to all events held by them is open to all comers.
The main value of Turan University is academic honesty. Turan University expects from all its students the desire for educational and scientific activities, free from fraud and deception. All teachers and administrative staff of the university adhere to strict standards of academic honesty. Any attempt to deviate from these standards will be interpreted as acts of academic dishonesty and will be treated in accordance with the Code of Academic Honesty of the teaching staff and the Code of Honor of the student.
Academic honesty is designed to strengthen the educational environment, based on the principles of openness, transparency, objectivity and ethical standards.
The Disciplinary board on Ethics operates at Turan University, which implements the regulation of the relations between employees and students. In case of detection of violations or treatment of employees and students on academic honesty and ethics, this body acts as a moderator in addressing these issues.
At the same time, the University recognizes its responsibility to promote and inculcate values and standards of conduct that will guide its students throughout their career.
Turan University expects its students to comply with the standards of academic honesty. The University has the right to take disciplinary measures, including expultions, for failure to comply with the requirements specified in this Policy.
Students should not allow:
– obtaining or granting unauthorized access to exams or using prohibited materials during the examination;
– transfer of user’s credentials (login, password), which are false or changed in any way;
– plagiarism (copying materials from the Internet without referring to sources, providing someone else’s work in whole or in part as their own;
– assisting acts of dishonesty of others (while doing tests, tasks, course and diploma work for other students, either directly, or through document exchange sites or other sources).
Any form of discrimination, including social, racial, gender, ethnic, or religious grounds, is unacceptable in the university.